The Old Rectory

THE OLD RECTORY

AA Gold Award
AA 4 Star Self Catering
Pets Welcome

The Old Rectory in Carlby is approached through a gateway with old lichen clad stone piers on either side. This elegant and comfortable old building has a date stone inscribed 1693 visible from the large gravelled front driveway. The rear of the building betrays its origins as a more modest cottage with low oak beamed ceilings originating well before then.

The village of Carlby began as a Viking invader settlement and lies on the main road between Stamford and Bourne, two historical towns with lots of character. The village name combines the old Norse for ‘free man’ – Carl or Karl – with ‘by’, the Norse term meaning near, or at the top of, the hill. The church of St Stephen next door to the Old Rectory dates from 1200. The village is conveniently located for the cities of Peterborough and Grantham and lies within an hour’s drive of Cambridge (to the South East) and Lincoln (to the North).

The boundary with the historic county of Rutland is a short walk west of the village and the A1 major north/south highway is a few miles further west.

The self-catered accommodation is situated to the left of the gravelled driveway as you enter the property and consists of two separate converted stone buildings. The Stable is an intimate and cosy one bedroom cottage. The Forge is a more spacious barn conversion with a log burning stove. Ample off-street car parking is available in front of the tall lead capped wooden gates leading into the magnificent Mediterranean garden with its Italian terracotta urns surrounded by box and lavender, Indian bean trees, French village fountain and Gothic green oak bench nestling between beds of roses specially chosen for their heady scents.

The Stable is entered from the Med garden to the right of the wooden gates and was converted in 2010 from a derelict outbuilding made of stone and housing horses into luxury self-catered accommodation and comprises a sitting room with 32” Sony internet TV, luxury fitted kitchen and shower room with toilet and wash basin, under-floor heating, and mezzanine floor with a comfortable double bed. Double glazing, thick stone walls, green oak trusses, heavy Zoffany fabric drapes and blinds, fully insulated ceiling and LED internal mood lighting provide a totally private place of serenity and a cosy refuge from the outside world.

The Forge is to the left of the wooden gates and comprises a 15 x 6m downstairs area containing a lounge with log burning stove and 55” Samsung internet TV, kitchen and dining area with heated oak flooring and a spacious upstairs bedroom and bathroom.

There is free high-speed wireless broadband in both buildings. The Stable can accommodate two adults sharing the double bed on the mezzanine floor. There is also a sofa-bed downstairs. The Forge can accommodate two adults sharing the double bed in the bedroom upstairs. Fuel for wood burning stove in the Forge is available at an additional charge of £15 per day. There is a washer/dryer machine in the utility room attached to the Forge which is available to residents of both buildings.

You can see video tours of each property here: The Stable Video Tour    The Forge Video Tour